Technical Writer/Instructional Designer
The Technical Writer/Instructional Designer (TWID) is responsible for preparing how-to-manuals, product instruction manuals, technical support documentation, training materials (for both instructor-led and written materials), journal articles, blog posts, industry articles, user and administrator manuals and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information in a clear, concise and easily understandable way to reach people with diverse professional backgrounds. The TWID will also develop, gather and disseminate technical information among customers, designers, manufacturers and our internal staff while working closely with the Manufacturing Engineering, Designer/Developers, Technical Support, Training and Marketing staff to ensure accuracy and context of information.
- Plan, develop, organize, write, edit and proofread operational procedures and manuals
- Follow writing style standards for order, clarity, continuity of style and terminology; creating screenshots/diagrams/charts to support text
- Maintain a comprehensive library of technical terminology and documentation, managing updates and revisions in a timely manner
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of all documents and data
- Use photographs, drawings, diagrams, animation, and charts that increase users’ understanding
- Select appropriate medium for message or audience, such as manuals, instructor-led training classes, online videos, or online learning solutions
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Bachelor’s degree in English or Communications with 5 years’ experience as Technical Writer; previous experience in a Manufacturing industry highly desired
- A strong interest in working with and learning about, all parts of the product development life cycle
- Experience working in a technical industry, understanding basic terms, grammar, writing style, sentence form, and structure
- Creative and a critical thinker.
- Familiarity with Simplified Technical English.
- Experience with HTML/XML/CSS.
- Ability to grasp new technologies and convert this knowledge into easily understood terms
- Ability to organize and maintain content in an intuitively navigable format both in printed form and in on-line content
- Excellent written/oral communication, proofreading and editing skills
- Passionate about getting accurate knowledge into a usable format
- Ability to work well with others, gleaning knowledge and driving for results
- Knowledge of adult learning principles
- Ability to collaborate with key stakeholders to assess learning gaps, identify opportunities for improvement in existing training, and design new or updated learning solutions